My Adventures in Knitting, truly my Yarn-escape!

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Yarns - What's Up in Your Knitting & Reading World?



   In honor of a wildlife refuge in Texas threatened by the building of The Wall, I've started knitting the Passerine Hat by Erica Heusser.  I was excited I had the materials on hand and I've bravely waded in to tackle colorwork with Fingering Weight yarn (I'm a bit of a newbie on this, only having done one Fair Isle piece before - Technique Thursday and Learning Fair Isle).  Today I should get to the bird motif.  Read on for details on how the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge is threatened.


Blue Bunting Cyanocompsa parellina



     In September the next fight in Congress will be over the budget.  Hidden in the proposed budget is funding for the Wall.  Surreptitiously testing the area, hoping to avoid notice, the US Customs and Border Protection has been working to get soil samples and check out a three mile stretch in the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge in Texas to build a portion of the Wall. Today the Washington Post reported that Homeland Security will be evoking previous laws in order to skirt any Environmental rules or reviews for building the wall along the border The Energy 202: Trump to Waive Environmental Rules to Construct Border Wall



    The Santa Ana National Refuge is the home of the many birds and some endangered species - "The 2,088-acre Santa Ana refuge, located along the Rio Grande south of McAllen, Texas, is considered one of the nation’s top bird-watching sites, with more than 400 species of birds. The refuge is also home to two endangered wildcats—the ocelot and jaguarundi—and some of the last surviving stands of sabal palm trees in South Texas." (Mother Jone's - Trump’s Big, Beautiful Wall Will Cut Through a Big, Beautiful Texas Wildlife Refuge). An update from Texas Public Radio.


     I'm more than half way through Ken Follet's Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, Book 1).  It's a great book and fills in a lot of gaps of my understanding of WWI and the Russian Revolution.  The Characters feel real (and interspersed with real historical figures) and the plot keeps up a good pace.  Every page you want to know what's going to happen next.  I'm pleased I'm reading an accurate historical fiction, having fun and learning at the same time.  I'll have to remember to prowl the second hand book shops this weekend for #2 in his trilogy - Winter of the World: Book Two of the Century Trilogy.





Join "Frontier Dreams" to post your  projects on Tuesday or later in the week.


Nicole says: "The act of creating, in one form or another, preserves my sanity amongst the chaos of life. This explains why I always have more than one project going at a time as well as why my housework tends to fall behind. I enjoy seeing what others are working on and keeping calm with, too. What are you creating? What is keeping you going? Snap a picture or two and share it with the rest of us by leaving your link" on her blog, link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment